About Me

My photo
I blog. I also mother, wife, create, preserve, recycle, cook, act, quilt, exercise, laugh, write, lolligag, work, volunteer, sing, and sometimes sleep.

Friday, March 20, 2009

What's Right

When I was 19, I took on a personal challenge to live a noble life. While this sounds a little heady for a 19 year old, the bonus was that I got to define said noble life all on my own. Now, reading back on my journals in those days, I am actually super impressed that 19 year old Ariella actually had a clue, and for the most part, I completely agree with what she was talking about. One part of a noble life, she (I) concluded, was to live a life respectful of mama Earth, and to do everything reasonable to make sure her (my) footprint (modern term) was as small as possible. I am proud that before it became hip to do so, I was concerned with the environment...and it is something that continues to be important to me today.



I am in the middle of preparing for the kids' birthday party. I tried to talk them out of it. I did...I tried both bribery and coersion, and when neither worked, I resigned myself to pull off another party. Thankfully, my regular cast and crew was all for it, and so I have tons of help. Unfortunately, our parties tend to be a little over the top (making dinosaur/sports themed aprons for each kid in attendance, having a head cut out photo op with the ocean/mermaid/ ocean theme, homemade lollipops, cakes inspired by Duff...you get the picture) and this year, money is tight, so I am trying to be reasonable, and to lower my own bar. It's amazing how Little Miss Frugal goes a little nuts when trying to make my kids happy on their birthday...but I am a birthday freak. So we planned the party for 2pm, thus making it so that a "meal" wasn't mandated, made out own goody bags, our own decorations, our own activities, ,all with the goal of spending as little as possible. Nicole and her husband chipped in so that a moonbounce was ordered and Colleen's brother had a drunken fit of generosity that resulted in the ability to rent a cotton candy machine, so all in all, we were on our way to an affordable and awesome celebration.

Then I start running errands. And I see more things that can go into goody bags, more decorations which would match the themes, colored plates, cups, napkins...and I want to buy all of them. And while money is an issue, a bigger issue (and the one that ultimately stops me) is the environment. None of the guests need more plastic crap from china. The goody bags have snacks, new crayons, a ring pop, some bubbles, and some balloons. They're fine. We don't use plastic/disposable cups or plates here, we have enough where people can use the real thing, and I live with washing all of it for the sake of the Earth. And it's a lot easier to stop myself when I am reminded of the real reason why it isn't necessary to have those things. I am sure the party will be a hit. Even if my plates don't have rocket ships on them.

Sometimes I wonder, if it is so hard for ME to not get swept off in a sea of consumerism...me who is frugal and eco-conscious and cares so much about those things...it is no wonder we're (collectively) in the state we're in.

No comments: