About Me

My photo
I blog. I also mother, wife, create, preserve, recycle, cook, act, quilt, exercise, laugh, write, lolligag, work, volunteer, sing, and sometimes sleep.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Does my computer know that I'm fat?

It started with the targeted facebook ads- lose 600 pounds of belly fat in 20 days! Pictures of flabby flabby bellies turning into sculpted toned abs lined my home page. Thankfully, only I saw them. In discussing with some friends, it turned out they also were getting these ads, and so my paranoia that my computer had a secret camera to judge me via facebook ads was alleviated. Seems as though if you are over 35, they just assume you want to have less belly fat. Great. Even the Jillian Michaels ads could theoretically just be playing into (almost) every woman’s biggest fear.

So I log onto my yahoo account this morning, and I see a little picture of a heavyset woman in my ad area with the following caption: Find BBW singles in your area! Now. For those of you who don’t know (bless your heart), BBW means Big Beautiful Woman in personals codespeak. What exactly is going on here? Is it random? Is it targeted, as I think most of the ads are nowadays? And if so, upon what are they basing this particular target? I mean, surely they don’t think that I am on the hunt for a BBW based on my email content (really, not my type). So, are they gambling on the fact that as someone who would fall into that category, I might click there hoping to put up my own ad for someone to find me? It’s just weird!

Paranoia, paranoia, everybody’s coming to get me…

1 comment:

Andemonium said...

Love it! I too have been wondering lately why I keep getting ads to meet Black Singles In My Area?