About Me

My photo
I blog. I also mother, wife, create, preserve, recycle, cook, act, quilt, exercise, laugh, write, lolligag, work, volunteer, sing, and sometimes sleep.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Going Out of Business

The federal government, in all it's wisdom, has passed legislation that makes my baby items illegal after February 9th, 2009. Because of the rash of childrens' items imported with high levels of lead last year, the new law states that all items that are in any way manufactured for children under the age of 12 must be individually tested for lead content. Well, if you are a toy company and make 1,000,000 Tickle Me Elmos, the $1200/per item cost for 3rd party lead testing is annoying, but not impossible. Not so much so if I make one of a kind baby blankets which cost $25.o0. Or few of a kind bibs which cost 8.00. Get the picture?

But the fabric will be tested! Isn't that enough, you ask? Well, firstly, no. The way the law is currently written this is not enough. They are now taking suggestions towards this end- the testing of the raw goods versus the finished product, but nothing is decided. Furthermore, even if they alter the law this way, the fabric manufacturers can just say any fabric is NOT meant for children so that they don't have to pay the cost of the lead testing. In addition, many of the fabrics I use for my bibs and quilts are not the traditional nursery type prints. It's what makes them special. So what now?

Well, for now, I write to the appropriate government officials, none of whom are going to go against legislation for stricter lead testing. I look into the rumor about state's rights with regard to this issue stating that I can still sell within California. I revamp my product line, focusing online sales towards things decidedly NOT for children. I love making my blankets and bibs and burp cloths, but I can live with making them for people I know instead. The keepsake quilts I make aren't for children per se, so that should still be fine too.

The ironic thing is, the folks responsible for importing all this shoddy, poisonous stuff for kids? They won't have any new restrictions. That's right. The legislation affects manufacturing in the US, not imported goods. So technically, we're back to square one. And in this economy, with factories and businesses struggling to hold on to their livelihood, this "safety feature" will serve to annihilate more of us. All because we can't stop our addicition to cheaply made, imported crap.

3 comments:

The Mincing Mockingbird said...

Can I still get my custom asbestos pajamas with footies from you? The Chinese ones are "itchy."

Ariella said...

You wanted extra asbestos, didn't you? It's still on backorder...but as long as you don't mind waiting...

Lori said...

Sigh. I'm really going to miss those lead-lined bibs.